Monday, April 13, 2009

For Wednesday- "Of Rajas and Rollers" by A.A. Gill

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2008/11/rajasthan200811?currentPage=1

This piece is about 5 months old but I hope you enjoy it. For the past several days I've been reading and saving stories I like, the past few hours on Vanity Fair's website bookmarking one after another. This was the third piece I read by this author A.A. Gill and really enjoyed. While we seem to have similar interests (I was always drawn in my the title and only later noticed the author) which undoubtedly pulled me in to his work, I also found his writing captured my attention from the lede and I continued without much effort or pause until the nicely circular, or at least reflective/satisfying ending.

If you have time, read and comment before class so I can focus on what more intrigues you about the piece. I personally enjoyed it because I am interested in how US/European writers write about India, having studied abroad there.

I hope you enjoy it.

ps. i'll figure out how to put links in, but for now copy/paste it? thanks.

7 comments:

  1. Jackie, right from the beginning this article interested me. The line about not calling Bombay Mumbai because "Only CNN weather forecasters call is Mumbai" is just brilliant--endearing, even. I found the voice throughout the piece to be very likable, particularly easy to relate to, especially in his description of the middle class and Lewis Carroll reference. Thanks for the pick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jackie, the link isn't working for me. Is anyone else having problems?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nevermind. It's working now, and I'm really glad because I enjoyed this article quite a bit. The structure is fantastic, and Gill's style is quick and unique. The line, "You could change the world one scrofulous waif at a time, or you could buy yourself an issue of Vogue," caught my eye immediately, and I was impressed when it was echoed in the kicker. I think its impact was made greater by its foreshadowing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how A. A. Gill really puts the reader in each and every scene. I am especially drawn to the beginning and ending scenes in the crazy intersection.. the "window-tapping, glass-smearing, imploring sea of ailing humanity." I can really feel the claustrophobia.

    Also, after hearing so much about India's poverty, it was interesting to take a closer look at the rising middle class, as well as major male players in the upper class. The writer takes an experience that would probably be indescribable for most --because, I think the surroundings would be very hard to process for anyone unaccustomed to constant calamity-- and turns it into a very vivid story ... simply by describing, exactly, with all of the five senses. It's the perfect example of a "show, don't tell"-story.

    I am eager to hear a little bit about how it relates to your experience abroad, especially as far as the accuracy of Gill's descriptions.

    Thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jackie- Gill makes a lot of funny comments "the waiting list for the Cricket Club is longer than a natural life span-another reason for admiring reincarnation." You can definitely hear his voice in the piece.

    I like how he began the story with cars stopping at a red light and all these people trying to sell their merchandise. And then he went into the actual story about the men who run the the V.C.C.C.I. He uses so much detail. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love hating on super rich people, and it's interesting that its in a different country, but still so wonderfully British-ly wealthy. Cricket and car festivals and tea are some of the snootiest aspects of the aristocracy.
    This is especially potent in the context of the giant juxtapositions of classes in India. I liked it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this, I love his language and his confidence in writing. At first I wasn't sure if I could get into it since it was about cars, but I so totally did. Amazing article, Jackie, thanks so much for posting it.

    ReplyDelete