Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Reading Response

I really love Jon Franklin's book, especially the structure and outline chapters, which is amazing considering I have strongly resisted any previous direction on either of those subjects. His approach made a lot of sense--the whole book was so practical and I had no choice but to respect it. The piece that struck fear into my heart the most was on page 92, "For it is here, in the coldly logical prefrontal realm of the mind and not in the heart, that the secrets of the masters are kept," AHHHH logic and order are not my friend! However, Franklin made it simple, gave me a process that was almost underwhelming, and allowed me to look at the pieces I was reading (trying to find one to share with you all) in a new light. It made me ask different questions, about both my writing and the writing of others. This, I think Franklin would agree, is going to make me a better more thoughtful writer overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment