Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Response to classmates pieces

Austin's:

It is a morbid piece but it is really interesting and would be hard to write about without falling into traps. Specifically, I liked the interviews with the kids who were friends with the people who had killed themselves and also the progression of time in the piece. If it had been as long without the progression of time, it would have been a bust. It made me want to know more, which is good for the author but I almost was frustrated at the end that I didn't get a better idea of the total social, political, and economic scene in that part of the world. Of course, he does do some of that, and he had to find a balance between the sensational details of the suicides, the interviews, and the whole picture in limited words. Overall, good piece and I enjoyed reading it.

Emily's:

What a great example of a profile! It makes me wonder how I am ever going to write one of my own, it seems you really have to spend time, a lot of time, and have a clear vision of the conflict before you start. From there, you can move around and give background to fill everything out and make it about LIFE not just the conflict. This is so perfect for what your general writing theme/interest has been too, emily, nice find.

Lindsey:

This was a nice piece because it was clearly relevant and political but still a profile of a place at a specific point in time. It was helpful to read because it was a length that we will probably be writing our pieces and had a narrow focus.

No comments:

Post a Comment